Sunday, July 30, 2017

In the creek

Fish Creek. Right now it's a shallow warm creek. Unlike other times during floods or spring run off when it's a raging torrent that would sweep away an adult, today the smallest child could safely toddle in it. But there weren't many people there at all, much to my surprise.

The day started with an awesome buddy swim. I did 2 K for the first time in a long while, with 500 m in 9:25 which is getting back to a normal pace. My shoulders are feeling much better since I started focussing on strengthening glutes.

I could go on and on about the perils of letting your butt go soft from too much sitting and not enough motion. Suffice to say I've been working on it the last little while. Now my legs feel like running again, with hams and quads feeling strong. My low back and hips don't hurt. Yay!

My buddy swam 4 K in about 90 minutes just to see if she could. IMZ is in 4 months. Just saying.

After a trip to the Farmer's Market (salty chocolate caramel tarts, if you MUST know) and more berries, I was wandering around thinking about things to photograph. I've been wanting to do landscapes again, but the smoky haze makes those either really really good if you're in the right place at the right time and get lucky, or mostly likely, really bad.

Then I remembered my rule. When in doubt, go to Fish Creek. It's huge, so there's always something different to photograph. I wore old shoes I didn't care about, and happily waded through the creek from bridge 2 to bridge 1. It never got deeper than mid shins, and I walked carefully, mindful of carrying expensive camera gear. I was looking for reflection shots, and got a few, but the big surprise was catching a critter.

I'm thinking about doing it again next week, get in touch with me if you'd like to come along, and we'll work out a time.








I'm not sure what it was with this log. The light reflecting off the wood, and the deep shadows fascinated me. Somehow, though, the photo doesn't quite convey the same feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to reading your comment!