Saturday, July 29, 2017

Backlit begonia bounty

One of my buddies has encouraged me to work on photos where the flower blossom is between the sun and camera. This is a little tricky for several reasons, the major one being looking at the sun through a lens isn't good for your eyes. It's really tough to see what the camera settings are, and get them right at the same time as getting everything else right.

Still, I've been on a roll the last few days. These two are strong side light, shot in the back garden in the evening.


This begonia lives on the front steps. I was just coming back into the house when I got a look at it gently bathed in the reflected light from the patio. The light in that little spot was about as magical as I've ever seen.

These next three are posed, (turn a little away from the light, move those leaves, let your petals float in the air) if you'll accept that term for a potted plant. I moved them to make it easier to get the image I wanted.




In the back garden, again, with very gentle light, and yes, it really is those colours. There is almost no  tweaking in Lightroom.

Technically, this one isn't backlit, but the lighting is kind of odd, and I just happened to be in the right place at the right time to catch it. I've published it before, but that particular blog didn't get many readers so you may not have seen it.

2 comments:

  1. Love the first and last of these photos, in particular, Keith. They drew me in. Something about the depth of colour, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and the third one! You're right that the light was magical.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!