Sunday, December 20, 2015

Look at that map!

I love today's run map!

It says I did 5.4 k in 45 minutes, but that's not really true. Michelle's phone shows only 4 K (which I kind of believe), and we started and ended with a walk, plus some walks in the middle after some fast bits, and both of us forgot to turn our apps off after the run. In addition, the phone thinks we gained 1073 m in the course of the run, on a perfectly flat track. Yeah. So let's just take all that with a big grain of salt.


What's important to me here is those three fast bits. They are each one lap of the track, done in about 50 seconds. Taking into account the slightly different distances for each lane, and the somewhat erratic timekeeping that might have been a second or two out, I ended up running about a 4:10 per K pace, or about a 6:45 per mile pace.

I've never before timed myself like this, and I'm very impressed. I didn't think I could run that fast, and I wasn't anywhere close to needing a bucket. Maybe all the coaches in the world shrug, and say I didn't run fast enough. Whatever. I wasn't trying for all out, just very strong.

When you do the math, that works out to slightly under a 3 hour marathon. Consider this is what the elite triathlete pro's do. They swim 3.8 Km in under an hour, bike 180 K on a hot windy course in a little over 4 hours and then run a sub 3 hour marathon. I can barely run that pace for 200 m, and I'd need the bucket for sure if I tried for 300. Or an ambulance, which would upset the staff, and Linda. Won't be doing that.

The swim first was a bit of meh, nothing special. I knew I wanted to do an easy swim after the hard bike yesterday, and before the run today. After the run we hung out a bit watching they snynchro swim girls practice. At one point I tried holding my breath when they popped under water and waved their feet around artistically. I could do it, just barely, and I'm just sitting there and they're working hard.

I did another new thing yesterday, binge watching a whole mini-series. Childhood's End by Arthur C Clarke was a favourite back in the day, and even then I wondered how they would make a movie out of it. Three episodes later, now I know. Overall I'm pretty pleased, and considering it's $10 for 5 to 6 hours of quality television, quite reasonably priced.

If you're a fan of the book, you'll probably like what they've done. They NAILED Karellen perfectly! The 3rd episode was more than a little leisurely in wrapping up a couple of the sub-plots, and therefore seemed to drag out the ending a bit. I think it's an excellent adaptation of a very cerebral novel. You don't need to have read the book to understand it, and you can enjoy it for what it is.

There is a Facebook thread about cats that sleep on their back. This is yesterday's photo of Curtis doing exactly that.

During the movie I had Celina snoozing hard in my lap. Both cats love this red wool blanket.





1 comment:

  1. Now THAT'S a gaping maw!! Great you and Michelle had! Kris and I checked out The Escape last night on Netflix, seems intriguing.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!