Wednesday, July 15, 2015

No taper, just madness

Some days it doesn't pay to get out of bed. I got into the office shortly after 7. Well before 8 am I was swearing under my breath. Things got hazy with the blue air. I closed my office door to keep from offending my nearby colleagues. And the ones further down the hall in two directions.

Eventually, I gave up. I had already spent much too long on the task. The last straw was it refusing to do something it did yesterday. It would have been quicker to find someone with the security rights to do what I wanted done. Well, the people that want it done, some of whom have the rights, but are very busy. They didn't want to take 10 minutes to fix it in the user interface, so I spent several rage inducing hours at it and failed. I don't get paid enough for that. I came perilously close to walking out of the office for the day. I contemplated forever. There are other jobs in this town, and I don't need to find one tomorrow. Or even next week.

Meanwhile, I'm still preparing for another load, one I can't complete till the rage-inducing one is done. It turns out that assets with a particular status, once given a PM and Job Plan, will in fact generate work orders. I'm glad I found out the easy way before the people in the field and down the hall found out the hard way. So either I generate a whole new load sheet, or find a way of taking the right ones off of it, leaving gaps in the numbers. I await further developments.

Stuck into that was a request to turn a letter B into a letter C for some things meeting a particular criteria. I think it's a dumb task, but at least it was easily done. I had fears. About the same time I looked at some of the work orders that have been generated, and wanted to cover my eyes. At least my name isn't attached to them.

Every time I look at this database it gets more and more complicated. The name "Rube Goldberg" is coming to mind more forcibly every day. One last thing on this topic. The person writing those work orders spelled it "Seperator". The end is nigh.

Then Costco after work. The parking lot wasn't bad, but there were a lot of people in my way. They had people on every aisle cap flogging nameless substances purporting to be edible. I got a nose full of one of them and nearly threw up on the spot.

As soon as we got stuff put away I went to lie down in a quiet spot to recover my tranquility. So far so good.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, dear. I'm sensing just a tough of taper madness setting in. Remember to be gentle with yourself (and everyone else), my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A "tough of taper madness", what a delightful phrase!

      Delete

Looking forward to reading your comment!