Thursday, May 29, 2014

That almost click feeling

No secret there are parts of my body unhappy with me. I've been struggling with tightness, stiffness, and minor pain for a while, in spite of stretching, rolling, and other alleviations. It's mainly quads and ITB, but I think the real source is my low back.

Tonight I was downstairs doing some twists, trying to relax into them, breathing to that part of the body as my lovely yoga instructor would say. It was almost a little frustrating because I could feel that it was almost going to go. So close, and yet so far.

In the past I've sometimes tried to push that, and regretted it later. I had a chiropractor that liked to work on my low back, and that terrified me. It turned into a strength contest because I couldn't relax. I know my low back and hips are a bit locked up, or something. It's making me very nervous about my Sunday half marathon. But the stretch was good, overall. I'm feeling better. Perhaps a good night's sleep will relax things a bit more, and I'll get the elusive CLICK!

One of my co-workers asked if I was a bit worried about heading into a long run while not feeling 100%. I certainly have not had the training I'd like to have, and I could wish my hips and knees were happier with me. But there's lots of times I've headed out for a run feeling worse, and had a perfectly nice run out of it. I'm quite confident that I'll be able to chug through the race without further injury because I'll be paying a lot of attention to how things are feeling. I'm quite willing to dial it back to a walk, though sometimes walking hurts more than running.

Sunday will be fun. There's going to be a ton of people there, and I'll even know some of them. I'm going to try to get there between 6 and 6:30 and meet up with people, though pre-twitter I didn't have much luck with that. It's supposed to be nice weather.

All I need to do is make sure I don't beat myself up doing some of the necessary yard work on Saturday.

Might I see you at the Calgary Marathon? How did you get from the almost click, to the nice good click?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to reading your comment!