Saturday, February 11, 2012

Running for Sherry

It turned out I ran alone today. I'd call it a brisk day at -14 C (-7 F) and a bit of a wind.



Here I am almost ready to head out. I ran about 45 minutes down through Fish Creek park. It was a beautiful sunny day with ice crystals in the air. Only a few dog walkers around, I could tell one of them was looking at the bib, but they didn't say anything. Mostly this was an easy run, working on keeping my feet light and fast. Stretched for a long time after. My hip flexors can really feel it.

I don't know Sherry, I only know of her through Beth at SUAR. I came late to being a runner as an adult, and now that I sort of am one I like to share my enthusiasm. It really pisses me off when I have to tell a woman that there is extra stuff that they need to think about on top of the fitness stuff, as if that wasn't enough. Their personal security.

As near as they can tell, Sherry was attacked about a mile from her home. This is a horrible thing to have happen, and while it could happen to anyone, it's most likely to happen to women. It's much less likely to happen if you run with a buddy. It's a shame this has to be done.

I wish I knew how to invent a "Chester the molester" detector, and we could start weeding these people-like creatures out of our gene pool. Maybe someone has already invented a panic button device that calls some preset numbers and transmits GPS coordinates. Tricky to get something small enough to carry around, easy to trigger but not too easy, and not too easy to find and toss out the window of the vehicle. Maybe something built into a heart rate monitor band, or an additional function on the current sports watches. Which, of course, would only work where you can get a cell phone or GPS signal.

In the end, I thought of all my female buddies that run, ski, bike, and do other sports out in the wide world. I hope they stay safe, and always come home again, unlike Sherry. I feel for her family. I promise to do what I can to help make the world a safer place.




11 comments:

  1. Great blog Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping in and commenting Richelle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chester the molester detector. You are awesome. Thanks for being a part of today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For real...they can make tracking devices for animals in the wild... I would totally carry a tracking device on runs. Super post about a very special event :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all your efforts on this, tough as it must be. You've brought something good into the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They sure can. Hmm, that gives me an idea. I wonder if we could make a band thats easy enough to fasten on or take off, yet is very difficult to cut off, with all the gps stuff. Then, have a hat or something to go with it to tell people you are chipped. I wonder if that would work? I know people that put an alarm company sign outside their house, even though they don't have the alarm system.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great run....I was unable to do it yesterday for many reasons (and excuses I'm sure). But I was able to finally lace up those shoes and ran 6k just now for Sherry. Blog post to follow. I want to know again what brand of no-tying laces you use. I had to break a wrist to discover why I need them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will post a photo of them, since I have no idea what brand they are. Maybe there is only one brand, but I doubt it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And I thought our 9 degree run for Sherry was tough. -7 is a double sock day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Single sock. But double layer of tights, given the wind, and happy about it. Though coming back with the wind was a bit warm.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!