Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The 12 swims of Christmas

My coach put a lot of thought into a fun Christmas swim for Monday. Just like counting off the 12 days of Christmas, this had 12 different things in the main set. It made for a lot of writing; I filled up two of the little pages I stuff into a baggie. Numbered them, and placed them back to back.

It was a lot of fun working through the sets. Lots of different things. The only thing I didn't do was the 25 m where I had to breath every 9 strokes. That was after 25 m of every 3 strokes (no problemo), 25 m of very 5 strokes (ok), and 25 m of every 7 strokes (a bit of a struggle). I tried for 9, and my body said breath!!! on eight strokes. I got some water while doing that, and the rest of the length was a bit of a shambles.

I was sharing a lane with a lady that swims really slow, but we each had our half so it wasn't an issue. How slow? She's churning away on front crawl. We all know I have a pathetic kick. Even so, I passed her while doing kick only. Easily. I saw one of the guys from swim camp and said hello, on a 5 second break, but I can't remember his name. (If you're reading this, I'm sorry, please leave a comment, and I'll do better next time.)

It ended up being an hour, not sure how many m, then another 15 minutes of core in the dive tank. I timed it perfectly. The floaties were coming in just as I was leaving. The number is still 228. I think my days of easy weight loss are over, and I'm going to have to get serious about this.

After some breakfast I was out for a secret mission. Nearly got gezzered a few times, and watched the start of a geezering. As you exit off 14th st southbound, there is a one lane road into Glenmore Landing parking lot. I came in that way, and there is a geezer sitting patiently in the lot with her right signal on. I turn left out of the ramp, and she turns right behind me, onto the road I just left, so she is heading against the stream of traffic, though there was none at the moment, where she would soon end up facing the very busy southbound 14th St going about 80K. Somebody was going to get a nasty shock much sooner than later.

Later in the day (ie, daylight, which is in short supply here these days) I was out for an easy run, 40 minutes. I was thinking of making it an even 45, but it took a little longer getting around the block than I thought, and when I passed the house with the watch showing 38 minutes, and me getting cold, that made it easy. I did the two minutes out and back, and went inside. It was quite a bit colder than it had been in the morning, and I turned out to be just slightly underdressed. Some frost on the moustashe, but nothing worth photographing.

Just for the geeks among us, I found the sunrise, sunset, and total daylight hours for Calgary today.
Dec 21, 2009, 08:38 AM, 04:32 PM, 7h 53m 53s. Less if it's cloudy. And you guys wonder why the fake n bake industry exists up here.

Tuesday bike took a bit of working up to. I haven't been sleeping well lately so I was slow to get moving. However, once I got on I had a really good session. 2 hrs, lots of it at 90 rpm, and some of it gradually moving into harder gears while trying to maintain 90.

Then the core. That wasn't so good. In fact, it was pathetic. Only 15 minutes before I gave it up, and it was a shambles from the start. Maybe I'll have another go at it later; it couldn't be any worse.

4 comments:

  1. Hey you're putting some good sessions in - good for you! And sounds like you have a creative coach - certainly helps avoid the boredom hey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your numbers and data -- why is it that we get along so well when I am the COMPLETE opposite of you? Hahahahahaha!

    I remember our phone conversation and every response from me, "Uh, I don't know Keith -- I sort of FEEL it." LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

    And your core session isn't pathetic by any means!! Look at everything else you are doing -- and I am positive that your "only 15 minutes" is a light year away from what you were capable of 6 months ago. Seriously.

    Rock on buddy.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love doing the 9 strokes then breathe thing...only because i remember taking one stroke and gasping frantically for air not too long ago. haha. you are doing great with that!

    oh, and i agree with julie about the numbers and the core. LOL. you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh, the ol' lungbuster; gets ya everytime (that's what we call the 3-5-7-9 breathing drill down here). It sure does improve your breathing efficiency though. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

    I agree with Julie-you have come along way, Keith, and 15 minutes after everything elese you've done is a LOT. I can't even do the 15 minutes.

    There is nothing more frustrating than trying to lose weight. SOOOOOO much work for very slow, very little results. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!