Thursday, August 7, 2008

Zoomy Oly ride

Well, how about that. I didn't faint in the heat. IG wanted me to do a gradual aerobic build for 90 minutes, or a little more. I'm not very good at some of this stuff. There isn't much room between an easy pace I can maintain, and a pace I can't maintain for long. But I am getting better.

From the Oly I know I can do 40 K in about 90 minutes. So I decided to head out 22x, starting easy for a warm up and gradually building. Well, so much for that idea. A short way into the ride, a guy caught me, and we chatted for a while. I had to speed up slightly to stay with him. Turns out he had been in Chinook as well, and is planning on going to IMC. However, the effort of talking, and keeping up drove my heart rate to the mid 140's, and going up a hill he gradually started to pull away. Said bye to him, and eased back a bit.

There was no way I'd be able to build on that, so I settled for maintaining a brisk pace, trying to stay strong, and finish strong. It was a beautiful night for a ride, starting hot, but gradually beginning to cool down. At one point the smell of new mown hay took me back to my childhood. I didn't lose focus though. Every time cadence dropped, I changed gears. Pushed hard up the hills. And it all turned out super!

Tonights average pace is getting close to where I'd like to be. I felt strong, and could have kept going at this pace for a while.

29.3 Kph average pace, (starting easy, and actually waiting at one light for a minute)
45 K ride, of which the last 5 K or so was easy cooldown.
40 K in 1:22
87 average cadence
127 average heart rate, including cooldown
150 max heart rate
1450 calories
90 minute ride overall.

2 comments:

  1. you're doing GREAT my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ride -- sounds like you are getting some serious biking legs!

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!