Thursday, November 15, 2007

4 minute run and 45 min spin

I'm on a bit of a different schedule this week, but I'm getting back on the fitness bus. Today was a run day.

10 min warm up
8 x 4 min run 2 min walk
8 min cool down, for an hour and 6 min total, over a route that is 7.8 Km long. This takes me down into Fish Creek Park, and it's quite dark.

Temp was just below zero, calm, and the paths were in pretty good shape. This run felt great. Once I warmed up and reminded myself of what running is like, I found I had no trouble going the 4 min, and once went almost 4:30 before I looked at my watch again. If anything, I wanted to run further.

My only difficulty is looking at my watch to know when it's time to start or stop running. Right now I'm pushing up my sleeve, then hitting the light button on my watch, then trying to read it. I don't know what I'm going to do when I finally have to wear mittens or gloves. Is there some runners secret here that I'm missing?

I had thought of taking my shoes to Ottawa to run in between various social obligations, but I'm glad I didn't. There really wasn't time. However, things went smoothly. In spite of the circumstances, it was nice to see everybody again.

It was time to get back on the bike and have an easy spin session. My thought was mainly to build some time practicing a light foot on the pedals and remind my butt that this bike thing is going to keep on happening. Yes, I checked the trainer setup to be sure everything was appropriately tight. Just in case.

10 min warm up at 85 rpm in a nice easy gear to see where my heart rate would stabalize.
4 x 2 min at 100 rpm (same gear) then 2 min at 85 rpm, concentrating on not bouncing.
4 min easy spin at 85-90 rpm, concentrating on light feet and going around.
2 x 1 min at 110 rpm then 2 min at 85 rpm.
4 min 90-95 rpm, concentrating on light feet and going around.
5 min easy cool down

45 min total.
For whatever reason, I felt it in my calves the most. Thinking about the longer run than usual, I decided to cut back on the bike tonight. Future days with run and bike will see shorter runs and longer bike time.

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear Keith!! Some watches you can set to beep at the intervals you set it at. Then you don't have to look at it. I know the Garmins do this...I have an Timex Ironman and have not yet figured that feature out...I still wait for a street light to have a look!!

    ReplyDelete

Looking forward to reading your comment!